Monday 11 July 2011

Guest post 6: I never Thought I could do it by Rita

I’m finally done with my exams, yaay for me. I don’t have the results for statistics and economics yet and I think I won’t pass so I don’t want to get those results anytime soon. I’m so very tired after weeks of studying that I need a couple of days for myself and myself only. Luckily I still have two more guest posts for publishing.
My amazing friend Rita (check out her blog here) wrote todays guest post and I was a bit surprised by it. I never thought Rita would say she can’t do something. But even if she says so she still does it and rocks!


Quite some time ago, Starlight asked me to write a guest post about studying.  Oh boy.  What could I possibly contribute to that theme?  I knew she spent much of her time studying for finals, exams working on reports, and I have a lot of respect for those who do that...but me?  Naww...she couldn't want to hear about my studying stories.  Or...

There have been 2 times in my life where studying has freaked me out.  The one time you would think I would be freaked out would be when I got my drivers license.  I studied and studied and failed the first time.  But only cause I got totally nervous.  But the one time was when I was doing my event planning certification.  I had been planning events for about 15 years.  Medium scale events.  And I knew what I was doing.  But I figured it would be a good idea for me to have some sort of paper behind my experience too.  So I took an online certification course through a college up north.  At first I was totally freaked out by it.  Well I’ll be honest.  I was always freaked out by it.  The stuff I knew, you don't learn that in a book.  You learn that by doing an event.  Or on the street as they say.  But I kept plugging away.  A little bit at a time.  It was an 8 month course, and I kept acing all the tests.  I will never ever forget my very first 100% mark.  (Not in my life, just in this course).  I was so proud of myself.

Why was it freaking me out?  Because I was thinking that i couldn't do it.  I’d sit and study and think to myself "I can't do this..." meanwhile I'd be doing it.  Oh the mind games we play on ourselves.  I think that would have to be the definition of insanity.

The second time was when I signed up for the Public Relations diploma program at the University.  I was so panicked about it, I think I made myself sick.  I was in bed for a week.  And I found out 2 days after the course started that I was in since someone had dropped out.  There were 47 other people in this online course and there was group work too.  How on earth do you do group work with people you don't know, whom you  have ever met and expect to do great work?  Well, we bloody well aced the report!  It was awesome.  I was so proud of myself again!!  In the course over all, my final grade was 85%.  Not bad for someone who had been out of school for 20 years (give or take).  So yay me!!

I applaud those who are in school for long term.  Those who go after their PhD's and their Masters and things of that nature.  How on earth do you do it?  Because I honestly, even now don't think that I could.

I am supposed to be registering for another course in the program soon and I can't do it.  I haven't done it.  I will do it, but as yet, I've not yet done it.  Call me crazy...but haven't I already learned it all?

I'm kidding of course.  And I love to learn.  I just don't love the studying party of learning.  Is that bad?

I know that our friend Starlight has been super busy with school and trying to manage her life and still join us here in blog land every now and again, and personally I think she does a great job.

Maybe it is easier when your partner also leads the same life.  I wouldn't be familiar with that...

Needless to say, having written this, I'm pretty excited about starting another course.. believe it or not. I'll even come back and tell you what I've decided to take.

I am especially interested in the Media Relations or the Writing course.  Holy crap.  Maybe I'll throw my hat over the wall and take both.  Yikes.

A big thanks to Starlight for asking me to write something about this topic.  I wasn't entirely inspired at first, but once I started writing, it got easier.

Sending you some good studying mojo.

May you continue to prosper!

Love
xo

To get what you've never had, you must be who you've never been.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your exams are over. How I used to hate them, I always got a mental block as I walked in the room!! You may get better results for statistics and economics than you think, my fingers are crossed for you. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post. Im the same way. I hate studying and not sure if it ever really helped me at all. I dont seem to retain the info. Oh wells GOOD FOR YOU LADY. YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming by to read this. Again thanks Starlight for letting me sit awhile here and share a part of myself with your readers. It means a lot. I can't wait for you to be done so you have some time to have some fun!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Loved in particular the line 'oh the mind games we play with ourselves' which was so true in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for commenting, I'm glad you liked this story.
    And thank you again Rita, for writing this piece for me.

    ReplyDelete